Imagine waking up one day to find your Mac has solved a vexing scientific problem.
Xgrid is being developed by Apple to allow mac users to easily put together a cluster of mac for CPU-intensive calculations.
Technology Preview 2 (TP2)
At present, Xgrid is available as a “Technology Preview” (a fancy name for a beta version??). In this version, Xgrid plug-ins can be written using Cocoa and General/XCode.
Announced publicly by Steve Jobs at the WWDC keynote address, and on the apple mailing list:
*The “GM” version, Xgrid 1.0, will be part of Tiger and Tiger Server (due first half of 2005) *We are describing a new Cocoa-based API at WWDC, but it is still under NDA *We are exploring the possibility of a Tech Preview 3 later this summer
This means that one will be able to fully integrate the power of Xgrid in its application, through a new Cocoa framework.
Pages of General/CocoaDev related to Xgrid: [Topic]
External links related to Xgrid:
* Apple mailing list xgrid-users : http://lists.apple.com/mailman/listinfo (you need a username and password provided on the site)
* Daniel Cote has posted information and a tutorial at http://unu.novajo.ca/simple http://unu.novajo.ca/simple/archives/000022.html http://unu.novajo.ca/simple/archives/000023.html http://unu.novajo.ca/simple/archives/000024.html
* Daniel Cote has developed a Linux agent, still a work in progress at http://www.novajo.ca/xgridagent/
* James Reynolds from the University of Utah explains how to set up Xgrid, and how to use the custom plug-in and much more at http://www.macos.utah.edu/documentation/administration/xgrid.html
* Drew Mc.Cormack published a couple of papers on macdevcenter, on how to wrap the Xgrid command-line to run Xgrid directly from within your Cocoa application: http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2004/05/11/xgrid_pt1.html http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2004/05/18/xgrid_pt2.html
* The beep protocol used by Xgrid: http://www.beepcore.org/beepcore/home.jsp
* An Xgrid widget in Tiger? http://www.mekentosj.com/xgrid
* Xgrid Wiki http://packmug.ncsu.edu/wolfgrid/General/XGridWiki/pmwiki/pmwiki.php